Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bedtime Prayers

As a kid growing up my parents would say a bedtime prayer with me. I remember every night as I lay in my bed, my mom or dad would come in and say a bedtime prayer with me. I was a little sad when they no longer did that with me. It was a special time with my parents, just me and them saying a prayer together thanking God for all the blessings he had given me as a kid.

About 5 1/2 years ago, I started with Tanner, saying a prayer. We used the prayer that his prayer bunny said. "Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. To angels watch me through the night, until I wake in morning light. Amen." I started saying one with him before he could talk well, so he would know that it is a special time with me or Ryan. We still continue to say a prayer every night with him.

When Ella was first born, Tanner would always want her in his room to say a prayer before he went to sleep. As Ella got older she was going to bed before he was, so she wasn't always awake for him to say his prayer with. Now, that she is older, she is the one who is asking to tell Tanner goodnight and to say a prayer with him. All of us, Ryan, Tanner, Ella and myself all pile on Tanner's bed to say a prayer, tell each other goodnight and that we love them. Last night, I thought we were going to have to call Tanner to say a prayer with him over the phone. I told Ella that I would say one with her. At first that wasn't good enough, but she finally relented. We said our prayer and then she leaned over to me and kissed me on the forehead and said "Goodnight sweet Momma. I love you." I then leaned over to her and kissed her forehead and said, "Goodnight my sweet Ella. I love you." It wasn't long and she was asleep.

By far, this is my favorite time of the day. My children and husband are actually sweet to one another and they really do love one another. As a mother, that is the best feeling in the world. To have my family together with love.

5 comments:

Fun Family Fitness said...

I agree this time is the best.... I remember it when I was little and I am glad that I got to start this tradition with them... We say our prayers and then they say who thy would like to pray for...
The prayer I remember is...
Father in Heaven hear my prayer,
keep me in my loving care,
Be my guide in all you do...
Bless all those who love me too...

Thanks for this post...steph

Fun Family Fitness said...

I agree this time is the best.... I remember it when I was little and I am glad that I got to start this tradition with them... We say our prayers and then they say who thy would like to pray for...
The prayer I remember is...
Father in Heaven hear my prayer,
keep me in my loving care,
Be my guide in all you do...
Bless all those who love me too...

Thanks for this post...steph

Anonymous said...

oh marci...that is just too sweet..
they will remember that prayer when they have kids...what an awesome thing to pass on to your kids....you are great!

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

that is precious!!!! i can just picture all of you in tanner's bed all snuggled up praying...with ryan smirking, knowing that God is LOVING that y'all are raising such a sweet family!!!

Ryan Mills said...

somebody always poots right about this time too.