Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Memories


Ryan and I had a garage sale on Saturday and we had a box that I did not get to go through completely. It was a box that his mom had taken out of her building and told me it was Ryan's and to take it home. As any good daughter-in-law, I did. Sunday night, I was trying to clean up the house and that was one of the things I was trying to get rid of. Ryan told me just to throw the box away, there was nothing in it he wanted. I, on the other hand saw lots of stuff that I knew he had not thought about it a while. I did toss out a few things, like his boxer shorts (?), his old garter from an ex (I asked before I tossed!!), and a few other things. A couple of things that we did keep were some old video games. As we dug deeper we found his prized "Star Wars" belt. He was so excited he tried to put it on. Classic! He was a little upset that it wouldn't fit?! His face just lit up that his belt was in the box. Of course, he also found his head band that he bought and told me the story. He kept digging in the box and I asked him why, he was looking for the matching wrist bands! It was awesome though to see his face light up at the memories that were in that box. My hope is I keep the things that will light my kids faces up one day and tell their kids the stories behind those momentos like Ryan did on Sunday. So, yes, I am keeping lots of stuff that I probably shouldn't, but oh well!! I will let the kids throw it away when the time comes.

3 comments:

allie nelson said...

so funny! laughing at the headband and even harder at the thought of him searching for the matching wristbands!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the headband...All he needs now is the long tube socks that go with it...lol
I must admit I am a chunker..I save nothing...but after reading your blog..maybe I should....

Fun Family Fitness said...

I love that story...that is too funny.. about a week ago my mom sent that same kind of stuff home with me...and I had to look through it and even Toby got a kick out of it...thanks for sharing the story...I love the picture though...steph