Monday, August 18, 2008

The Talk

Every parents worst day is hearing the words, "The Talk." At the Mills' household today is no different than that day for some of us. Ryan, to be specific. Tonight as we are fixing our hamburgers, Ryan tells Tanner that he will help him another night get his shower ready just to make sure he knows what to do. I look at Ryan with a puzzled look and I said, "I thought he already did. He did that all by himself one night a few weeks back." Ryan's face had such disappointment. He realized as Tanner was fixing his plate, that his little boy is growing up. He is the one who normally fixes Tanner's plate for supper or helps get his shower ready and those two things, he was doing on his own tonight. As we finally sit down to eat, Tanner informs us that he is growing up and needs to take responsibilities. That it is part of growing up and that he doesn't need us as much anymore. Ryan walked back into the kitchen completely defeated, shoulders slumped and the realization that he is in fact growing up. Of course, there is humor in just about every situation-this is no different. Ryan trying to see just how far he would go, asked "Do you need to start shaving tonight?" Tanner said "Uh, I don't have anything to shave." It was the funniest thing, the tone of his voice was unbelievably funny. I had to walk out of the dining room.
Earlier tonight I had asked Tanner to take his shirts to his bed while I was putting away more laundry. Tanner without prompting goes to his closet and starts taking hangers out to hang his shirts on. Ryan and Ella come in from the volleyball game and without any prompt from me Tanner asks Ryan, "Dad do you hang your clothes up?" I had to turn around and walk out of the kitchen because I thought I was going to laugh. Ryan very confidently says "Yeah." (I'm rolling with laughter!) Ryan is still trying to keep a straight face and asks why. Tanner says I was just wondering. I guess he doesn't think his dad has many responsibilities.
God knew when he gave me Tanner, that I would need him. He is very patient, very kind and very loving. He can also be very straight forward and right to the point. He is wise beyond his years and my little boy is no longer so little. I guess too, that it is sad for me as well. I miss him curling in my lap and actually fitting. I take him for granted sometimes too. I try to slow down and take in all the moments I can with him. They have gone by so fast. I hope that what I do for him, gives him a strong foothold on the man he becomes. I just wish he would have told me that he doesn't need me as much 10 years from now, not right now.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow - I can't believe he's showering by himself and fixing his own plate. I'm proud of you though for allowing him. It's good for him. Some moms keep doing those things for their kids and those children never learn to do things for themselves - what a nightmare. Ya'll are great parents! I hope my boys are half as well rounded as Tanner! Love you!

TREY MORGAN said...

Wish I'd have known you were a Boston expert, you would have come in handy for some info. Did you and Ryan get to go there for your honeymoon? I forgot all about that.

Love your blog.

Fun Family Fitness said...

They do grow up too soon...I just realized that Colton is already 3 weeks...wow...where does the time go...? I really liked the story....steph