Thursday, February 18, 2010

Book Ideas

I need help. I'm trying to keep Tanner engaged in reading. He loves books and has loved them since he was very small. I'm worrying because he is getting burned out on reading books. It is a nightly battle to get him to read let alone for 20 minutes. It is so disheartening that a child who loves books doesn't care anymore. Back at Christmas time I found him a book that is called Kenny and the Dragon. He loved it and has read it so many times. I do know he likes Hank the Cowdog books, but has read just about every one. I plan on going out of town next week and while I'm gone, plan on getting him some books. I have one that I am looking for, but would love other ideas on books that may keep Tanner's interest and not give up on reading. If you have any ideas please let me know!!

2 comments:

Ericka Moore Photography said...

I used to struggle with Nick and his reading homework. In fact, I still do. One thing we started doing together a couple years ago was reading his AR books together at night. I read a few pages outloud and then he does the same. He still gets the practice he needs to be able to read good and we have that time together to bond. It has actually turned into a time that I enjoy and I think he does too. Nick and I just don't have a lot in common, so it's been nice to find something we can do together. And it's given us the opportunity to have some good talks. Even if it is his homework. I also think Nick's reading skills and level have improved since we started reading outloud together, because I am able to see where he struggles and where I can help him.
Nick started reading the Sugar Creek Gang series last year and is still reading it. They have them at the school library. They are about typical boy adventures (fishing, camping, fighting, etc.), but they also throw in lessons about faith and being a Christian. We have both gotten a lot out of reading those books! Good luck!

Marci said...

Thanks Ericka! I will look and see if I can find that series while I'm away. I'll also try to read with Tanner too, that is a great idea.